Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Where's the Big Puppy?

By Guest Blogger Scout Barr


Guest Author: Scout Barr

I'll be filling in today for the Big Mommy.  That's what I call Juliet.  I offered to write a piece for her blog, and she said it would be okay, as long as there were a few photos and no typos.  If you think it's easy to type when they haven't clipped my toenails in months, think again.

I'm worried.  I know Big Mommy has a lot of readers, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

The Big Puppy is missing.  At first, I thought he'd be right back.  After a few days, I thought maybe it was one of those longer trips he sometimes takes.  Then it became clear that he was not coming home.  Big Puppy has never been gone this long.  And Bear and I are starting to worry.  Without the Big Puppy, things are going to be pretty dull around here.  Here's what he looks like.


Big Puppy

In our pack, there's Bear, the other canine*, and Big Daddy and Big Mommy.  They take care of us.  They sometimes leave, but they always come back.  Ever since I was born, they have been here.  Back then, there was Little Mommy too. To show my love for her, I sleep on her bed and chew up her stuffed animals.  When Little Mommy comes for a visit, she can tell how much I love her.  Little Mommy takes Bear and me for really long walks, sometimes up to the mountain.  And the Other Daddy who doesn't really love us, but is nice to us and will take care of us when he visits.    

 Big Mommy,  Big Daddy in the back
Little Mommy, Other Daddy and Big Puppy Seated in the Front

And there was Big Puppy.  Big Puppy was one of us.  Big Puppy walked us every day, and fed us sometimes.  Big Puppy took us outside no matter what the weather was, and played rough with us.  Big Puppy stopped whatever he was doing to show us love, and he and I grew up together.  I slept next to him at night.  Big Puppy has gotten bigger and bigger, but he always makes time for us.  


Bear Barr
But Big Puppy has been gone for a long time.  After a few nights of waiting by the door and sleeping in Big Puppy's room, I realized he wasn't coming home. I started sleeping in Big Mommy and Daddy's room, where it's cooler.  Bear still sleeps outside Big Puppy's door, like he's still waiting.

Other Daddy and Little Mommy have come to visit, but still no Big Puppy.  Sometimes Big Mommy takes us  outside and she tries to play with us the rough way, but it's really not the same.  A few times she even threw the frisbee and the football for us.  (Lame.)  Bear and I humored her for a few minutes but then we just came in and let her give us a cookie and plopped by the front door and waited for someone more fun to come along.  


So if any of you have seen Big Puppy, please tell him it's time to come home now.  It's just not the same without him.  





*There are other pets in this house too, but until the Cat and the Turtle start being even remotely fun, they do not get a mention.


7 comments:

  1. Dear Scout,

    I miss big puppy, too. I still sit by the sliders in my family room and watch for you and Big Puppy to come out and play in the afternoon. You can come over to my house and yard any time you want to play. Please, please come play.

    Love, your best bud, Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, the "Big Puppy" is at camp now... he'll be home for a few days, then off to college. So the dog, and the parents, will just have to get used to it I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In case anyone is reading this entry, Big Puppy went away to college at the end of August. Scout, the author of this blog, has had to go on doggie anti-depressants for his separation anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creatively written post you have here. Yup, there is the resemblance of dogs missing their puppies and parents missing their kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear African Mango Plus Direct Dot Com,
    Glad you like the blog, but you appear to be a dangerous site that could be harmful to those who click on your link. Since I'm just a dog, I'm so naive, that I'm answering you, but my owner had to delete your post, just in case you were to give any of her readers a case of fleas or some malware.
    Sincerely,
    Scout

    ReplyDelete